What is idp.generic?
Users throughout the world reported receiving a notification from their antivirus provider saying that it found a file infected with IDP.generic, and generally, people wonder what is IDP generic? Let’s get to know.
idp.generic stands for Identity Detection Protection, specifically designed to protect the user from harmful viruses, malware, trojans, etc., that might cause harm to your computer.
IDP generic is not associated with a single file or specific file; for example, many users reported receiving virus notifications with their games system files. The other set of users said the same while working with a python file.
Generally, idp generic is detected by Avast or AVG Antivirus, and it is also possible that this detection is a false positive.
What should you do about the threat Notification?
Anything that your antivirus software sees as a threat should not be ignored, IDP generic threat might be a false positive as well, but you should not ignore it.
If idp.generic virus is caused due to some form of virus/malware, your computer might be at greater risk and cause problems.
How can you know if a virus infects your computer?
- If a virus infects your computer, trojan, or malware, it might cause the computer to encounter BSOD (Blue screen of Death) error frequently.
- Your computer might be redirecting you to suspicious sites without your permission.
- Applications in your computer might crash frequently.
- Your computer would be a lot slower.
Causes of False-positive notification from your Antivirus
Generally, IDP.generic warning is caused due to an outdated version of your Antivirus. Developers of various antivirus softwares do not frequently update, leading the softwares to push fake positive notifications.
idp.generic Avast or AVG is caused due to an old version of Avast or AVG antivirus software and is generally fixed by updating the software to the latest version. Another potential cause of the IDP generic virus is an old, outdated Java software version.
How to remove IDP.generic on Windows 10?
Frequent notifications of Virus threats from your Antivirus software can be a bit annoying, so let’s know the methods to remove Idp generic Virus altogether –
Updating Java software on your system
- Switch on your computer and open any browser.
- Search in google for Java or Click here – Click on java download and let the download finish.
- Click on the downloaded file and follow the steps to get the latest version of Java successfully. This procedure will replace the old java files as well.
Updating Avast antivirus software on your system
- Open Avast on your pc and click on the top-right corner of the application.
- Under the General tab, click on Updates below Languages.
- Click on check for updates on both the options and let the app update itself to the latest version of the software available.
Using the Disk cleanup feature on your system
Follow the steps below to use the Disk cleanup Feature on your computer to remove idp generic virus –
- If you’re using Windows 10, Directly search for Disk Cleanup in the windows search option and press the enter key to open the Disk cleanup menu.
- After the disk cleanup opens, Select the drive that you want to clean. Usually, C Drive is used as a host of all vital system files in the computer.
- Select the following files to delete –
- Temporary Internet Files
- Recycle Bin
- Downloaded Program Files
- Temporary files
- After selecting the files, click on the Cleanup system files option.
Using Malwarebytes Software –
As we all know, Malwarebytes is a known software to clean up all the malware, viruses, Trojans on your computer. It can also help to resolve fake threat warnings as well. Follow the steps below –
- Download the Malwarebytes software.
- After downloading it, Install the software and allow for all the permissions asked by the software.
- Click on the application to open it; tap on the start button to start scanning. Select the full scan so that the application will deeply scan the computer for any viruses, malware, etc.
- After the scan gets completed, It will show you a list of viruses/warnings that have been detected and decide the action course. You could delete those viruses and their registry keys as well.
- Restart the PC to complete the process
The following methods given above will help you successfully to remove the idp generic.
How to solve idp.generic false warning?
As mentioned in the initial paragraphs, idp generic gives false warnings many times, and the files mean no threat to your computer. To keep the files as well as operate the system without idp.generic threat warning, Follow the steps below –
- Launch the Avast Antivirus on your PC.
- Click on the Protection icon to the left side of the application’s interface and tap on it.
- There is an option Virus Chest; tap on that and check the list.
- Check the file that has been detected with Virus and click on the “restore and add to exclusion” option on the application. It will restore the file and place it in its original location.
We hope that we have helped you with the information about the idp generic virus and successfully removed the virus from your computer. Generally, the false warning does not harm your computer, but it can be pretty annoying to get warnings about the same.
If you have any doubt regarding the process or queries, comment down below, and we will help you with the same.